This is my take on a Greek salad. Light and fresh and full of healthy fats. It’s tasty and really cheap to make and works great as a side dish for bbqs or picnics. It also keeps well in the fridge so is perfect for meal prepping your week’s lunches! The fats and protein will keep you full for ages and it usually keeps me satisfied during a long afternoon at work and a train ride home.
- 400g tin mixed beans or chickpeas
- 400g reduced sugar baked beans, with the juice
- 1 cucumber, cut into small chunks with the seeds removed
- 1 cup of Black/kalamata olives
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 10 Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 50g Feta cheese, crumbled, optional
- Black pepper, to taste
Mix all of the ingredients together, including the juice from the baked beans as this will help make the dressing.
Serve chilled, it goes great with houmous and couscous for a quick and easy lunch!
One of my favourite Korean side dishes is pickles! Bright yellow, sweet, sharp and refreshing! They’re super delicous and easy to make from home without any nasty artificial extras. They go so well on the side of some crispy Korean fried chicken or a bowl of comforting udon.
They’re also ridiculously inexpensive and easy to make, and have loads of nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron. And of course, all types of radish are famously full of fiber.
I love them, and I think you just might too!
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) rice (or white)vinegar
- 1/2 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pound (450g) daikon (sometimes called mooli) radish, peeled and sliced
In a medium saucepan, stir together water, vinegar, sugar, salt, turmeric, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to ensure that sugar fully dissolves.
Remove from heat and add daikon.
Transfer pickles and brine to an airtight glass container and store in the refrigerator.
Pickles will last about 1 month.